Pages

September 9, 2011

Doing the Can Can

Lately I've been hit by the domestic stick.  Which is better than being hit by the ugly stick, but still quite painful.


Last year I decided to can for the first time.  Ok, to be honest, 2 years ago I decided to can for the first time.  I made some questionable raspberry jam and some really nasty applesauce.  They were both so horrible that we're just going to pretend it never even happened.  This is my blog so I can do what I wanna do.


So last year I decided to can for the first time.  I bought a book of canning recipes and did a lot of research on line.  And bought a really lot of fruit. I had some success with canned peaches and apple sauce, which I dubbed cracklesauce because it was just that addictive.


I started stalking reading food blogs and became obsessed with more interested in learning about the process.    I've hounded my old lady friends and stocked up on tips and suggestions.  I enlisted my friend Amy (since my sister could not be less interested in canning) and over labor day weekend created the following masterpiece:




 In case you are wondering, that would be:


Canned Peaches, peach sorbet (heaven), frozen peaches, salsa, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, peach jam, triple berry jam and raspberry peach freezer jam.  Not pictured is jalapeno jelly and another round of cracklesauce.


It was a lot of hard work but I loved doing it.  I have a couple more things I want to make before I pack up my supplies for the season.  Whatever will I do to keep myself busy this fall?  


I need to learn a new talent.


Oh, and remember when I said my sister could not be less interested?  I have proof ala her recent facebook post.


"I think my sister is trying to be the next "Pioneer Woman." First the obsession with gardening...now with canning...what's next? Sewing our own clothes and chasing chickens around the yard with a hatchet and a cry of "Here, chickie, chickie?""


Smart aleck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up little pup?