Pages

August 3, 2009

Heaven has another angel today

Today is a day filled with mixed emotions. My Grandmother has finally passed away. I say finally not because I am happy that she is gone, but because she has lived a long life with many medical struggles, the last one being advanced alzheimers.

My sister told me on Thursday that the hospice nurses were giving her less than a week to live. I flew out on Saturday to say my last goodbye's. Grandma was mostly sedated the whole time I was there, with about 10 minutes a day of semi alertness. I was able to tell her that I loved her. I think she knew it was me.

Yesterday my dad gave Grandma a blessing of release, telling her it was ok to let go and be with Grandpa, who died on May 22. I had to leave a few hours later. My gut told me to stay one more day, but unfortunately I had to be back to work today.

My sister called me today at 2pm. She said that they said a family prayer and Grandma died seconds later, with her 3 children, my mom and my sister by her side. I am sad that I wasn't there, but I am glad that she is finally at peace. We believe that in the Resurrection our bodies will be made whole again. My grandma had polio when she was a child and has been crippled for most of her life. I imagine her running around with Grandpa,their parents, and all of the dogs and cats that she saved growing up, living the high life. The only thing that could make it better is if they have ice-cream in Heaven. I wish there was a way to find out!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Stacy. I've been thinking of you and your family this week. I'm sorry for your loss but I appreciate your perspective and thoughtful reflection. I'm glad you were able to express your love for your grandmother and say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete

What's up little pup?