Pages

May 6, 2009

Tonight I am once again reminded of the blessings in my life and my relative lack of personal trials.

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer today. Through self exam she found a lump in her breast last Thursday. On Friday she had a mammogram which revealed 4 more lumps. Today, Wednesday, an MRI confirmed a 6th lump. Biopsy results should be in on Friday to determine what stage she is in, and Monday she has an appointment with a surgeon to schedule an mastectomy.

There is never a "good" time to have cancer, but this is an especially hard time for her. She is in her mid-forties, has a son getting married next week, and another one leaving on a mission in July. This should be an exciting time for her and her family, and instead they are thinking about chemo, mastectomy and even death.

Talking to her tonight however she sounded very upbeat. She's been able to find a few silver linings in this diagnosis, even if they are silly. Her doctor told her today that she can drink as much Dr. Pepper, her personal drug of choice, as she wants. There's also the likelihood of sudden menopause...I'm not sure which one she is happier about! And she told her husband to start saving his money because they were going on the Breast Cancer Survivor's Cruise to the Grand Cayman Islands next year.

Her sons and husband gave her a priesthood blessing before her doctors appointment. She feels very peaceful and sure that she will beat this. I am grateful that I belong to a religion that believes in the positive power of prayer and priesthood blessings. I am grateful that we believe in hope rather than doubt and fear.

I pray that my friend will be able feel my love for her and that I will know how to be there for her. I pray that her cancer will be treatable and that she will be strong mentally while she goes through this very physically draining ordeal. I pray that one day science will discover a cure to this ugly disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up little pup?