Pages

September 11, 2009

I have a very vivid memory from my childhood. We were visiting my Nana and Pop Pop in Florida, and Jen and I were sleeping out on the covered back porch...or at least trying to anyway. My parents and grandparents were making such a ruckus in the living room playing tripoli that I couldn't fall asleep. I remember listening to them laughing and carrying on and wishing I could be out there playing with them.

As a teenager my mom wanted to teach us how to play but I always resisted, I was too bored or too cool in my mind to play a game with my mom. It wasn't until this summer, long after Nana and Pop Pop died, that I finally gave in and learned the game. We played outside my Grandma's room the day before she died, with my mom, sister, and my Aunt Kristin, who has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

I wish I had learned to play while my grandparents were still alive and could have added another fond memory. Now when I play this game I will be reminded of my family and the love that I feel for them and how fleeting life is. I will try to remember to never be too cool to play a game with my mom and to create special memories that will last the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up little pup?